Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Emotions and Love

It's no secret to those who know me that I am an emotional person.  Not in the sense that I can't control my emotions and I am unstable but that I anything I choose to do I allow my emotions to get involved.  As Buck and I have instantly became parents of two last May I have slowly learned just how strong my emotions can be and at times how confusing they can be too.

As a social worker and someone who has several years experience working with CPS and foster care system I know it.  It's like a part of me.  What I didn't know was how easy it was to fall in love with our kids and how everything that happens to them and/or in their case not only effects them but it effects us as family.  I always knew I could love kids but it took me by surprise at how easy it was to feel like a family, like they had been with us forever and how my heart got attached.  

Last night however I realized something....as much as I have been loving the kids in our home, making them part of our family I have missed an opportunity to love on their birth mom.  If I say I love others then that means I have to believe that people can change and that they will.  To be honest with you I find this very hard.  Everyday we are reminded of the hurt our little ones have because of choices others have made (their parents).  But I believe that they too change learn and be new people.  How do I encourage them?  How do I show them love too?  How do you love someone who hurt the little ones you have now fallen in love with?  I don't know.  I am struggling with this but one thing I do know....if our little ones are allowed to live with them again, I want to know that I did my best to encourage their mom and hopefully set her up for success.  And if they don't, I want her to have had the opportunity to know that we believe she can change.

So I ask you to join in prayer with me.  Prayer for all the kids in the family, prayer for the foster parents and prayer for their mom (that she will choose to make good decisions for her and her little ones and that she will be surrounded with people who encourage and love her).  It will not be easy for any of us.

And take time to be thankful for the people who never gave up on you and for the people who encourage you through life.  Not everyone is blessed to have such a support group.  And choose to be a blessing to those you meet!

No comments:

Post a Comment